Black Horse Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
We are looking for daring work that is innovative, striking, and emotive in its narrative and ideas. We welcome poetry, short fiction, non-fiction, and one-act plays by published and unpublished writers. Simultaneous submissions are not accepted. We read all submissions within two months and will contact you if we’re interested in publishing your work. If you do not hear from us within two months, please note that it is due to a heavy load of submissions. Guidelines:
- Submit one or more of the following: a short story between 1,000-2,500 words; up to 3 poems; a non-fiction piece between 900-2,500 words; a one-act play.
- Your work must be unpublished and original.
- While we are not particularly looking for genre fiction, we do accept some science fiction.
- Do not send the same piece more than once per reading period unless requested.
- Writers of color are highly encouraged to submit.
- International writers are highly encouraged to submit.
- Emerging writers are also encouraged to submit.
We charge a nominal submission fee of $3 per submission. Submission fees are non-refundable.